Thursday, August 04, 2005

long time gone...


So I have given up my dreams of being a crafty princess like so many of my friends. I just don’t have it. I swear, I have the drive, I just don’t have the mad skillz. See, it would be different and I could accept it better if it were just that I wasn’t ever gonna be a ballerina. I am practical enough, that this conclusion makes sense to me. Great big bum, itty bitty toes, I don’t see a lot of on pointe pirouettes in my future. But geez oh pete, why can’t I finish that baby afghan or perfect my cupcake decorating talents?


Carm’s birthday was this week, and I so wanted to give her these cute little lady bug cupcakes. I researched the idea. I found lots of cute, artsy little lady bug examples. I did test runs on icing coloring. I made Justin eat more cupcakes than I think he has ever considered eating. I even put on my brave coat and made my own frosting from scratch so that it would color easier. And yet, there I was…sitting on the ottoman, hunched over the coffee table…promising to never attempt even the slightest hint of crafty project again. Justin, who was too tied up in INXS: Rockstar (I know can you believe Mr. Noble-I-Don’t-Watch-Junk-TV watches that??!??), to really pay attention to my incessant whining, but I have reiterated the vow to him in the days since.

We have been working so much that I thought being crafty would help be a stress reliever, but that is a big fat lie. Being crafty takes lots of work. Yes it helps to be blessed with an artful hand and an aesthetically pleasing imagination, but you have to invest so much time and energy getting everything right. I have decided to do something easier. I am going to teach myself a new programming language, or learn Portuguese, or take up fencing. But no more crafts. I am not anti-crafty by any means; I will still be a patron and appreciator of others efforts, but that is all she wrote.

That is a pic of the cupcakes.. one person said they looked a little like basketballs from afar. A little girl on the elevator asked me why they had spiders on them...wow.

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger annekat said...

Here, leetle girl... Eat my deelicious SPIDERCAKES! Mwuh-hah-hah-hah-hah-haaaaa!!!! Oh, wait... It's not Halloween yet.

They don't look like spiders or like basketballs. They look taaaasty.

But I like to eat ladybugs, too, so don't go by me.

No, I'm kidding about that, obviously, but that reminds me of one crazy thing: my little neice Diana came up to me and told me, "I ate a ladybug! ...it tastes like hamburger."

Now I find myself wondering. What kind of scary-ass hamburger does her mom cook, anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home